Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A T-Mobile Nightmare

Hey guys! Boy do I have a story for you...

My friend went out and bought the G1 yesterday, excited to try out the 'Google Phone'. After being assured by salespeople at Best Buy that it would work with Pay as You Go, guess what? It didn't.

After popping in his SIM card and powering up the device, it forced him to register the phone with his Google account. No problem, except for the fact that it wouldn't let him use WiFi and it also wouldn't skip the registration. In other words, he had one very unusable phone. 


Calling up a T-Mobile store, the salesperson there confirmed that it should work and gave him the number for support. After having support hang up on him multiple times and still keep trying to convince him that it should work, he got transferred to someone who understood his situation and convinced him that it wouldn't work. It doesn't sound like T-Mobile people know what works and what doesn't. So, in the end, he returned the phone to Best Buy very frustrated and he is going to wait for the 8900. A good choice ;)

Have you had any run-ins with carriers? What was the end result?

-Zara

2 comments:

Omagus said...

One reason I don't buy carrier-branded phones is for issues exactly like that. I use T-Mobile and I'm happy with them but one reason for that is that I don't have to deal with issues such as that. I buy unlocked phones and already know what SIM card will or will not work with the phone.

I'm considering getting the 8900 when T-Mobile launches it. One very significant reason that I'm interested in it is because of the UMA capabilities, so I'm guessing I'll probably have to get the T-Mobile branded version. We'll see how that works out...

Anonymous said...

T-MOBILE. BOUGHT A SAMSUNG GRAVITY I MARCH. RETURNED IT 2 TIMES. GAVE UP ON A 3RD RETURN. PAID $155.00 AND GOT NO CREDIT TOWARD THE $200.00 EARLY TERM FEE. IF IT WAS A CAR, I COULD GET MY MONEY BACK. BUT NOT T-MOBILE, NO THEY WOULDN'T CREDIT A DIME TOWARD THE $200.00 FEE, THOUGH THE 3 PHONES WERE ALL DEFECTIVE. DON'T USE T-MOBILE !!!